Sunday, July 11, 2010

Unexpected Beauty

Reeds, 12th Street Boat Launch, Port Orford, Oregon
(c) Darlene Lyon Kruse - All Rights Reserved



Last week David Winston and I scouted locations for a workshop we're doing together in August - Port Orford and Cape Blanco on the southern Oregon coast. Driving around Port Orford, we saw signs pointing to the "12th Street Boat Launch". Sounds pretty unappetizing. I think of boat launches as being all about that sweep of concrete that makes it possible to launch boats into a lake or bay. Something tugged though -- call it curiosity -- and at the last moment at an intersection I decided to follow the sign, to see what was there.

As a photographer one of the gifts to me is permission to find out what's there, to satisfy my curiousity, to take the winding, meandering, indirect way from one place to another. Sometimes there's nothing at the end of the trip. But then again sometimes there is. The 12th Street Boat Launch in Port Orford ends at Garrison Lake. David and I found a sweet little dock, some interesting angles, and these reeds. I was totally captivated by the reeds, their reflection & the deep blue of the water. I did several compositions, some verticals, some horizontals. This is one of my favorites.
Photographed with Nikon D300. Lens: 24-70 f/2.8 Nikkor at 55mm. ISO 400. 1/90" at f/8. Circular polarizing filter. Gitzo tripod with Linhof head.

1 comment:

  1. My comment didn't show up...so, I'll try it again.

    First, I am absolutely delighted that you've started a blog. This will be a real treat to look forward to enjoying.

    This photo is mesmerizing! I am so glad you decided to follow the sign. ;)

    ReplyDelete