Sunday, October 10, 2010

Tashi Choling

Tashi Choling
(c) Darlene Lyon Kruse, All Rights Reserved

Last week Bill Exley, a friend and photographer, and I spent the morning photographing in the Colestine Valley, a rural valley south of Ashland that straddles the Oregon-California border.  We were treated to old barns at historic farms, railroad tracks, and the serenity of the meditation garden at the Tashi Choling Center for Buddhist Studies.

This photograph is of the pond. To the right you can see prayer flags and the top of a roofed area that houses one of the three statues in the garden.  I love the contrast of light and dark in this photo.  And the feathery-ness of the trees.  I have a feeling of serenity and balance when I look at it.

Metadata:  Nikon D90 camera converted for infrared.  14-24mm f/2.8 Nikkor lens at 18mm (35-mm equivalent = 27mm).  Hand-held.  ISO 320.  1/320" at f/11.  This photograph was made at 11:20 AM PDT.

All the post-processing work was done in Lightroom.  I converted it to black and white. In the point curve box, I selected strong contrast.  In the Color/HSL box, I adjusted the red, orange and yellow.  I also experimented with adding grain, hoping to make it look a bit more like infrared film.  I used the split toning option again -- I really like that look. This time I selected a gold/mocha-like color (hue 22; saturation 18) for the highlights.  For the shadows, I chose lilac (hue 271, saturation 18). I placed the balance slider at +70.  And then added a vignette.

Thanks for coming by to take a look -- I hope you like it.  It's a beautiful, peaceful, serene place. I hope I've done justice to it.   ~ darlene

1 comment:

  1. I gasped! Yes, I think you've probably done justice to it.

    ReplyDelete