Monday, September 6, 2010

Something Different

The Dolly Dock at Night
(c) Darlene Lyon Kruse -- All Rights Reserved
Here's a photo that's something different from anything I've posted here before. This was made during the Port Orford-Cape Blanco photography workshop David Lorenz Winston and I co-led in late August. We spent sunset along the beach at the Battle Rock Wayside and then noticed that the lights were on across the bay at the dolly dock. So we all trekked over there, after dark, and photographed some more.

About this image: When I first arrived at the dock, I made some standard shots of the activities going on -- people working on the docks. It was so dark, though, that there was lots of motion-blur. And so I decided to take advantage of it to create some abstracts. I shut down my aperture enough to give me a slow shutter speed and created ghost images of workers. Then I experimented with zooming in. I was drawn to the vivid orange, yellow & lime green as well as the ice on the floor of the dock & decided to use my zoom to create some images that were more about color and line than about subject. This is one of my favorites. I hope you too enjoy it.

Metadata: Nikon D300, 24-70 mm. f/2.8 lens at 24mm (equivalent = 36mm), exposure of 0.7" at f/19, ISO 800. Tripod. No flash.

2 comments:

  1. Love the color in this one! But then, you know how I am about color. It's so lively and energetic! Another good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon. This was a fun one - I'm glad you like it too! LOVE the colors -- they're so vibrant, almost psychedelic, or maybe like sherbet LOL.

    ReplyDelete